It took a while to summon up the courage, but eventually I got myself a little frac.
It's easy to mount and fits in nicely beside the big black 8-incher!
For those with an interest in such things, it's a Celestron ED80 APO Refractor. Here are the specs:
- Premium quality featuring Japanese Ohara FPL-53 ED glass
- 25 mm Plössl eyepiece - 1.25" (that was the theory, in reality it came with a 20mm instead).
- 90° Diagonal
- Clamshell incorporates vixen-type dovetail and thread for standard tripod
- Aperture: 80 mm (3.15 in)
- Focal length: 600 mm (23.62 in)
- Focal ratio: 7.5
- Finderscope: 6x30 Erect image
- Angular FOV: 2.2 °
- Linear FOV (@1000 yards): 114 ft (34.75 m)
- Optical coatings: Fully Multi-Coated
- Camera-adaptable: Built-in T-thread on 2" focuser
- Optical tube length: 23 in (584.2 mm)
- Weight: 72 oz (2041.17 g)
Observant readers will note that it's already undergone some changes:
- The Plössl eyepiece has been replaced by a Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom, and the 90° diagonal by a 2" straight extension (an old 2" Barlow with the optics removed)
- The clamshell has been removed and the scope mounted in a pair of guide-scope rings
- I swapped the finderscope with the one that was on the C8N (they are interchangeable)
End-of-line sales are great opportunities for grabbing that bargain kit that you couldn't afford before. FWIW, we're talking a saving of £260 off the RRP, that's well over 50% discount. Quite a bargain, I reckon.
And yes, before you ask, those weird things on the ends of the Newt are plastic shower-caps. Well, would you shell out a small fortune on a pair of custom-made scope dust-caps when these work fine for just 49p each?
The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://beardedgit.com/wp-trackback.php?p=3509
Have your say - submit a comment
THE SMALL(ish) PRINT... (updated 23/07/2016)
By submitting a comment to this blog you grant me permission to reproduce its content and to reproduce the submitted name/URL in attribution. I will leave your content in its intended place and in its unedited form unless one or more of the following apply:
If you ask me to modify, move or delete your content, I’ll consider making the requested change(s) so long as there’s no significant alteration of the context of the content or of any debate associated with it;
If you change your email address or URL, I’ll update these details in older comments so that I'm not displaying dead links;
If I decide to change the theme or layout of this blog, thus affecting the placement and/or visibility of comments, I’ll make whatever changes I see fit for the smooth running of this blog;
If any comment contains insulting profanity or other content which I deem to be causing or likely to cause trouble, I’ll edit or delete as I see fit for the smooth running of this blog. I’ll try to remember to display the reason(s) for whatever editing I do, so that folk aren’t left hanging wondering what happened and why. If you can at least try to "disguise" your swearing, it would be much appreciated.
Other things to consider:
Comments must contain at least 3 characters;
You can use some code in comments, feel free to give it a shot and see what works;
If adding pics, the recommended maximum dimension is 600px.;
Comments containing many links will be held for moderation;
I reserve the right to amend this policy in line with proven applicable current legislation;
Free Speech: you may well have the right to it, but you've no right to compel me to a) listen to it, or b) publish it!